Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Book Review: The Hour That Matters Most


I was recently given the opportunity to review the book, The Hour That Matters Most by Les and Leslie Parrott with Stephanie Allen and Tina Kuna.

The premise of the book is why the family meal is important and how to get the most out of that golden hour. We eat dinner as a family most every night. Of course, my boys are 5 and 3 so aside from soccer one night a week, our weeknights are free. Luke is homeschooled so all of our school work is finished early in the day, so no homework (Yes, lots of kindergartners I know have homework!), ect. Americans are too busy and the average Christian family is no exception. We spend too much time on extracurriculars, sports, practices, clubs thus neglecting family time. We are pulled in a million different directions and rarely spend any time as a whole family unit. And while these are huge soap boxes of mine, I understand that this book is not out to solve that problem. (Though I will admit that is all I could think about while reading the beginning of the book!)

So, what does the book actually attempt? To help you realize how important the family meal is and how to make the most of it. And I think it does a good job at this.

The book gives great statistics at the differences between families who have regular family meals and those who don't. Some of them really are surprising.

My favorite part of the book though would have to be the tips on conversation with your children. Drs Les and Leslie Parrot, practicing psychologists and family and marriage counselors, give numerous examples and ideas on how to engage with and relate to your children in conversation, as well as how to avoid unnecessary conflict! There is also a chapter on manners that I especially appreciated as sometimes I think that is a lost art! I know that these tips will definitely be useful in coming years as my children get older. For me, these tips will surpass the family table and will be helpful in all areas for my family.

I think this book would be a great read for anyone who is wanting to regain that time together at the family table. For those of us who already have regular meal times together, The Hour That Matters Most gives great advice on how to make the most of that time together.

At the end of each chapter there is a recipe and tomorrow night I'm trying out one! All of the recipes are simple to make and most of them are pretty healthy, although I'd have to make a few substitutions for a few of the ingredients! Check back for the review on Friday!


**I was provided a complimentary copy of this book in exchange of my honest review.**



1 comments:

Lisa said...

I would like to read that book. I have been thinking alot about that latley.....we are soooo overscheduled this semester.