Pages

Friday, September 16, 2011

Skin Deep

Pssstt... It was a CRAZY week! But God is good and I am thankful. So thankful. I mentioned a book review and it is coming... next week. I just did not get to it this week! :)

So, a friend of mine and I were talking a few weeks ago about body products and what we use. Over the past year or so I've began to be more and more cautious about what I put on my skin and what I put on my families skin. I've done more research on the subject just in the past few months and it really is amazing what companies are allowed to put into products these days. I'm thankful for the information that is available and I think it's wise to research to avoid ignorance on the subject. I've never been one to just take someones word for it (especially the governments!!). I like to know myself.

My only battle with finding good, clean, healthy skin care products is price. Sadly, just like food, the real, good stuff is typically going to cost more! The way I see it is, in life we have choices. We can ignore things and hope for the best or we can make sacrifices and do the best for our families. We (as in our personal family) can't do it all. We don't have the resources or finances to do that but we do what we can!

The numbers you see out beside each product is a rating from the Skin Deep website. They rate products according to the ingredients in them. Unsafe ingredients = higher rating. I like for my products to be 3 and under.. but that isn't always the case! I dare you to go check some of your products!! Double dog dare you! I haven't always used these products so I know what it's like to check and see a really bad rating!!

Some of these things I buy at WalMart/Target but most of them I get online. I keep up with them on Amazon and watch for deals.

So here is a list of the current healthier skin care products we use:

The Boys:

~Although, I've been using Dr Bronner's Baby Mild Castile Soap (1), because a certain little boy emptied almost a WHOLE bottle of Burt's Bees in the tub (yes, I almost cried). Dr. Bronner's seems expensive but it is highly concentrated so a tiny amount goes a long way. I use it in my homemade disinfecting wipes for extra cleansing power but it's perfect and gentle for a body wash. I'm also thinking about using it as a hand soap, diluted of course. I'm learning that this soap can be used for TONS of stuff. Homemade dishwashing detergent even... hmm!


Me:

*Before I go into my products let me explain my skin. I have oily skin and lovely adult acne. It's plagued me since my early 20s and it's so annoying. I'm continuously on the search for the product that will cure it all, but I haven't found it yet. I had hoped that changing to more natural products would have helped but alas, it hasn't. So, my next thoughts are that it's hormones or dietary. Who knows? Here's what I'm using currently but some is subject to change!

~Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo & Conditioner (I actually just bought this for the first time and like it. I got it on clearance at WalMart. Prior to this I had been using Suave and may go back to that if I can't find good deals. Shampoo/Conditioner is one of those areas where I have to be forgiving because of budget!).

~Dessert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash (1): I use this as a body wash & face wash in the shower. I buy the refill bottles and it's a GREAT buy! This is another product where a tiny bit goes a long way. I actually read in the reviews where someone uses a small bottle to refill and uses a 50/50 solution of wash and water. I might have to try that!

~Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Facial Cleanser: I use this to take my make up off at night, right now. But I'm not impressed with it. I will probably go back to using the Dessert Essence face wash, day and night, when it's gone.

~Face Naturals Deoderant (0).... GEEZ. I just checked the prices and they've gone up! They work, smell good and don't feel goopy. But they are expensive. I ordered two sample sizes and they lasted me all summer. Can I be honest? I don't wear deodorant that often. I don't smell (at least I don't think I do?! Please someone tell me if I do!) and so I don't feel it's necessary unless I'm going to be somewhere where I'm going to sweat a lot. So, that's why the samples lasted all summer. And that's why I spent a little extra on them! :)

~Nutiva Coconut Oil: This is what I use on myself pretty much every day. A tiny bit will do you! It can be greasy if you use too much, so there is an art to it. It works AMAZING on feet, slather it on before bed with socks and you'll have super smooth feet! It's also what I used on the boys when they got sunburned this summer (only once!). I also use it on them in the winter for dry skin. It smells like coconut going on but the smell goes away. And FYI, I buy one jar for cooking and one for body use. ;)

~Say Yes to Carrots, Daily Facial Moisturizer: This is what I wear under my make up. It does a good job keeping me moisturized without being really oily.

~Yes To Cucumbers Soothing Eye Gel (1): I really love this! No, my eyes don't look much different after using it but I just like it. I've used it all over my face before if I'm out of moisturizer!

~Alba Botanical Very Emollient Body Lotion (3): I use this on my hands during the day. It's easier to use than the coconut oil, which I usually just use after the shower. I only buy it when I have the money. It's one of those extra things but I use it sparingly so when I can buy it, it lasts a while. The skin on my hands are extremely dry!! I'm a hand washer... and a dish washer and a kid washer and a toilet washer... well you get the picture. My hands need lots of help!

The Hubs:

*note the Hubs could care less what he uses. But I love him. So I do my best to budget in safe stuff for his skin too. He uses regular ol' deodorant and shampoo at the moment. He tried the 'fancy' deodorant and didn't like it. And if he ever needs lotion for dry skin he uses mine. :)

~Burt's Bees Men's Bar Soap (1) I get this most often!


Sunscreen for us all:




So, what products do you use? Do you have any good quality, good priced all natural, healthy skin care products you'd like to share about? Have any homemade products that work for you? I want to know!


2 comments:

gclayton said...

To wash my face at night, I use Target brand unscented baby wipes. They work GREAT!!!! I rarely have pimples when I use them! When I don't, you will see one of those lovely bumps on my face!

Jessica Heights said...

These all sound great...you just can't go wrong with Burt's Bees! :)