Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cabbage Tomato Soup



This soup is really good, especially if you like tomato soup, and so healthy! Cabbage is super good for you! It was actually better on day 2 & 3 than the first! It was yummy with Divine Breadsticks the first night and a grilled cheese the next! It makes a lot of soup!

Cabbage Tomato Soup

2 TBS butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
4 cups V8 juice
1 cup chunky tomato sauce (or a can of diced Italian tomatoes)
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp Italian seasoning
pinch of thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 bag of cabbage slaw (or about 1/2 large head cored and sliced, they did not have whole cabbage the day I went for my ingredients)

In stock pot melt butter and cook onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic at the last minute or two of cooking the onions. Add broth, V8 juice, tomatoes, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, simmer about 10 minutes uncovered. Add cabbage and cook another 15-20 minutes, uncovered, stirring here and there. (Remember to taste and season again after you add the cabbage. I had to add a little more salt.)

I'm still planning on posting about why I'm avoiding canned tomatoes! Forgive me for not getting around to it! That's why I used the pasta sauce. As I was looking through recipes, I thought I'd just used jarred chunky pasta sauce instead of diced tomatoes. It worked great and gave the soup good flavor. If you want to use jarred sauces for things like this you can buy a jar and freeze what you don't use in freezer bags. That way you aren't wasting!

Also, I've been attempting to eat a clove of raw garlic a day (although I've missed a few days here lately) but a clove of raw garlic cut up and put into this soup was yummy! The spicy-ness of the raw garlic was a great addition!

I'm linking up with the Homemaking Link-up at Raising Homemakers!

Raising Homemakers

and




0 comments: