Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Crazy, Busy and Exhausted!


It's been a crazy, busy week so far! We're having a Bible Conference this week, actually the last night was tonight, so that has made the week busier (but great at the same time!). I had to miss tonight because Luke has a yucky nose... not to mention that he MUST go to sleep earlier tonight.
My child is a child who loves routine. Seriously, his whole world is thrown off kilter if something is different... especially at night. The past 2 nights we've ate supper earlier (by about an hour) and gotten home late. So late that he didn't get his movie or bath. You see, almost every night at 7:30pm the lights are down and he watches a movie (usually a Veggie Tales) while sipping his milk. At 8pm the bath is ready and he plays a little in the bath. His teeth are brushed, he's lotioned down, pj's on, daddy reads a story and then mommy rocks him to "Jesus Loves Me' twice (yep, only twice). Then he's laid in his crib and usually drifts off to sleep peacefully! BUT when the routine is off... there is no peace.

Monday night wasn't that bad... although he didn't go to sleep until around 11pm he did sleep through the night. He was in the bed around 9 but was so wound up & exhausted at the same time he didn't get quiet until about 11. But last night was the kicker! He was put in bed around 9:30pm, no movie, no bath... Around 10:30 he was screaming his head off. So I went in and rocked him for a little while and he drifted off to sleep. R and I got in bed a little later and around 12am I heard him waking up...then by 1am he started screaming again. I usually don't put him in the bed with us but I knew it was gonna be one of those nights. He was asleep within 10 minutes. R slept through that whole ordeal... and I layed there... listening to Luke snore. I knew that on top of his whole world being thrown off balance by the no-routine, the stuffy nose that had just developed wasn't helping either! So I layed there.. and tried to sleep but it was hopeless. So, since Luke was out I picked him up around 1:30am and layed him in his bed. Ahh.. sleep at last.. until 3am, when he woke up AGAIN! I went and got him again, but this time he was fighting his sleep so bad.. I mean kicking, tossing & turning.. Everytime he'd start to rub his eyes or lay his head down he'd start kicking and flinging those arms... needless to say R couldnt even sleep through that. I gave him some ibuprophen because I thought maybe his teeth had been bothering him... considering that he has constantly had his fingers in his mouth the past few days. By 4:15am, I'd had it. I was at my limit. This pregnant lady needed sleep! So I looked that little sweet boy in the face and said in my sternest voice, "Luke, it's time to go to bed. You're a big boy and can sleep in your own bed. It's time for night-night." I picked him up, kissed his cheek, took him to his room, layed him down, said "I love you"... and didn't hear a peep from him until 9am! I honestly think that he was at his limit too and just gave up!
So, after all of that I don't really have to tell you that I didn't sleep well last night. I might have gotten 4 hours of broken sleep. I just don't sleep well when he's up and down like that. Oh, and of course R's alarm clock going off at 7am... then 7:15am.. didn't help the sleep cycle either. Oh but tonight.. we had the routine down! And my sweet love was in the bed at 8:40pm and it's 10:30pm at the moment... and I haven't heard a peep. I'm heading off to dream land in a minute too. I just needed to share I guess. :) I know there are lots of mothers out there who have been there... these times are fleeting, I know.. and I wouldn't trade a minute of it.

I so want to share some of my journey reading Isaiah. I just started chapter 5. Maybe tomorrow. It's late.. and I'm tired!



Sassy Amie said...

Hey Crystal! I hope that sweet Luke is back into his usual routine and that his nose isn't still yucky! I like the new background :o)