Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

It's almost time! (Part 1 ~ Homeschooling)

It's almost time for school!! I am so excited (and a little nervous!)! We will start school in 2 weeks! Over the past few weeks I have been praying and meditating on why I want to homeschool. I've been praying that God will give me the right attitudes and the right heart. I know it's going to be fun and challenging all at the same time! So, as I thought and discussed it with the Hubs, I decided to do a series of post on homeschooling, particularly why we've chosen this route. I'm not sure how many there will be... maybe just two but maybe more. I know there may be some family and friends unsure as to why we would choose this. It may not make sense and even after I explain, it may still not make sense! And that's okay! I want to get my thoughts out there, share my heart and hopefully encourage some other homeschooling mommas!

The Hubs and I wanted a family soon after we were married. We shared the same desires, I'd stay at home with our children. I'm thankful we decided that early on (when we were engaged!). I don't remember when we first talked about homeschooling but I do know it was early as well, possibly before Luke was born. It just made sense to us. And even more so now, it just seems like the natural thing to do. Homeschooling fits our ideals, our wants and desires for our family.

Aside from it just seeming like the natural flow of our family life, our number one reason for choosing homeschooling is that we feel like God is calling us to homeschool. And isn't that the number one reason to do anything? I know God made me for motherhood. I fight it sometimes, but I know I am where He wants me to be! He's given me a great responsibility and I want to do my best to train my babes. He gave them to me, so I will teach them!

Before I move on to any of my other reasons, let me clarify something, we're not doing this because we believe if we homeschool our childre they'll be perfect and never make mistakes. A quote from Ann Voskamps says it best,

"Homeschooling is not a formula for perfection, nor is homeschooling a panacea for all the sin in this world. We're all messy and fallen and sin-scraped. We and our children are born sinners. Homeschooling will not fix any of that. Only Jesus and His grace can."

We are following the Father's leading for how to train and educate our children. We've prayed and we've researched. And prayed more. We trust that He will lead each family who seeks Him in the right path, whatever that may be.

And who wouldn't want to spend everyday with those sweet faces?



My boys are seriously cute.

"And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."
Deuteronomy 6:6-9


(I plan to end each post with some verses that I'll hold close in praying over our upcoming homeschool year!)



6 comments:

Mahala said...

Good luck with homeschool this year. I know you willl be a great teacher! I am looking forward to reading more homeschooling posts!

Anonymous said...

Ann's posts on homeschooling have been so helpful. We start our first year of homeschooling in a couple if weeks and I can't wait! Looking forward to reading your posts. Thanks for sharing!

Erika said...

Excellent reason to homeschool! It's a journey, sometimes rough, but with God He'll see you through.

jeana said...

Wonderful! I love reading about others' reasons for homeschool and their adventures in it. We started homeschooling our boys for the same reasons. Blessings to you this year!

jeana said...

Hey Crystal! Me again ;) I wanted to "drop off" that whole wheat pizza dough recipe that I used. Let me know if you all use it and like it!
http://nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/2006/03/whole-wheat-lovin.html

Nicole ~ "I'm staying home with my mom!" said...

I am also a new homeschooling mom this year. I am thinking we are going to start after labor day. I have a kindergardener, a 4th grader, and a 6th grader (and a 3yo). Should be interesting! I kept pushing the idea of homeschooling away and God kept bringing it back. I finally surrendered to it and we, including me, are excited to see how it will go! I look forward to reading more of your posts!